August 27, 2021: Jackson County Offices will be closed on Monday, August 30, 2021. At this time, we plan to resume normal business hours on Tuesday, August 31, however we encourage you to stay most up to date by following the County's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/jacksoncountyms/.
On Thursday, August 26, 2021, the Jackson County Board of Supervisors proclaimed an Existence of Local Emergency related to Tropical Storm (currently Tropical Depression 9) where rainfalls from 3 to 20 inches have been predicted, with heavy winds commencing on or about 0830 hours on the 29th of August 2021.
According to OES Director, Earl Etheridge, Tropical Depression 9 should be a hurricane by Saturday with landfall on the Louisiana Coast perhaps near the mouth of the Mississippi River sometime Sunday. There has been some discussion that the storm, who will be called Ida, could reach a Cat 3. Storm surge for us could reach 10ft and rain fall totals could be 6 inched are higher. As the storm strengthens and the track becomes more defined, these numbers may increase or decrease.
The following locations in Jackson County will have self-serve sandbags available by NOON on Friday, August 27, 2021.
Please bring your own shovel, bags are provided.
- Ocean Springs - Public Works Department, 712 A Pine Drive
- Moss Point - New Central Fire Station, 4204 Bellview Street
- Moss Point - Frederick Street Ball Park (across from 6324 Frederick St) - NEW 8/27/21
- Gautier - Behind City Hall, Highway 90
- Pascagoula - Jackson County Fairgrounds, 2902 Shortcut Rd
- West Division Roads Department - N. Washington Avenue (Hwy. 609), Ocean Springs
- Central Division Roads Dept - 8500 Jim Ramsey Road, Vancleave
- East Division Roads Department - 10825 Hwy. 63, Moss Point
- Forts Lake Fire Department - 10701 Forts Lake Road, Moss Point
- Escatawpa Fire Station - 3801 Sentinel Dr, Moss Point
- Fontainebleau Fire Department - 3901 Hwy. 57 South, Ocean Springs
- St. Andrews Fire Department - 1401 Elm Street, Ocean Springs